“So if you’re a filmmaker, work on this. The frame is a playground. So Play.”
– Tony Zhou
I can’t stop watching the Every Frame is a Painting on Edgar Wright and how to do visual comedy.
Here are Edgar Wright’s 8 (nine including a bonus) techniques for doing visual comedy, according to Zhou:
- Things entering the frame in funny ways.
- People leaving the frame in funny ways.
- There and back again.
- Matching scene transitions.
- The perfectly timed sound effect.
- Action synchronized to the music.
- Super dramatic lighting cues.
- Fence gags.
- Imaginary gunfights.